Monday, April 12, 2010

Vegan Apple, Strawberry, and Blackberry Crisp

The farmers' market was a success! Even though it was cold and cloudy (yes, really) and I couldn't find what I specifically was looking for, I did find the makings for a delicious vegan fruit crisp. Crisps are definitely one of my favorite desserts, and sometimes I even like them better than cake (shh don't tell my mom). They are easy to put together, don't get lots of stuff dirty, and taste good pretty much no matter what. Exact measurements aren't as critical as in cakes, either. And, so, without any further ado:

Vegan Apple, Strawberry, and Blackberry Crisp

For the filling:

2 apples, cored and peeled
1 basket of strawberries
1 (6 oz) clamshell of blackberries
juice of 1/2 a lemon

For the topping:
1/2 C flour
3/4 C brown sugar
pinch of salt
6 tbsp chilled vegan butter (like Earth Balance), cut into half inch pieces
1 cup quick oats

1. First, let me stress that these filling measurements are NOT exact. This is my list of what I used today with the dish I had on hand (9 in glass Pyrex dish). Feel free to alter the amounts of fruit to your tastes and the size of your baking dish.
2. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
3. Peel (I used a vegetable peeler) and core apples, and chop them into roughly 1/2 in pieces directly into baking dish. Cut up strawberries and add. Add blackberries.
4. Cut your lemon in half and squeeze it liberally over the fruit.
5. In a food processor, blend the flour, sugar, salt and butter with several on-off pulses or only until the mixture looks like a coarse meal. Add the oats and pulse a few more times to break them up.
6. Spread topping over fruit. I like to do it so that I don't see any fruit peeking out.
7. Bake for 45 minutes or until top is golden brown

Notes:
I suspect this can be gluten free with the substitution of gluten free flour, but I haven't tried it, so I can't promise it. It may need additional sugar. Project for me!

This is equally good as a non-vegan dessert with unsalted butter. Increase the salt to 1/8 tsp

This is yummy warm for dessert. Or room temperature for breakfast, in case you were wondering

1 comment:

  1. This looks delicious! I will make Bobbie bake it for me :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...