Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Coconut Bread - vegan

Coconut Bread

I have had this recipe pinned since March. And while that's not as egregious a lapse as some, it was still too long. First off all, it comes together in a snap. Two bowls and a spoon are really all you need. Plus, obviously, a loaf pan, though you could make muffins instead. There's no rise time, yeast, or kneading, so it's not intimidating to those of you still scared of bread. (b-t-dubs, please don't be. it's not scary. Maybe start with some no-knead? or a super forgiving loaf?) Also, it doubles as a cake. I mean, it's not a fancy cake, but if you have a mid-week hankering for dessert, this fits the bill (and then, breakfast the next morning).


just baked Coconut Bread

Next, there's Mother's Day to consider. Did you remember it's this Sunday? Moms love coconut. I'm not sure why, but coconut is a mom thing. It's true. My mom's a fan. At the bakery where I work, it's almost always moms who buy macaroons. Maybe a switch gets turned on when you have a kid? Anyway, if you need something either breakfasty or desserty, here you go. You're welcome. Also.

Coconut Bread from above
Eat Me

And now let's talk about the smell. Or the scent, rather (it sounds more enticing). Oh. My. Heavens. While it's baking, and for a little while after, your home is going to smell better than it has smelled in a long time. Do you have company coming over this weekend that you'd like to impress? (see paragraph 2) Make this, even if it's just for the mouthwatering smell scent that will waft throughout your house and distract any discerning eyes from the dog hair dusting the couch. ahem

Last, but not least, it tastes good. It's sweet without being cloying and moist without being heavy. The coconut doesn't overwhelm, and the flakes give it some nice texture. There's a crunch to the crust, which contrasts nicely to the delicate crumb inside. I'm daydreaming about topping my next piece with this

Coconut Bread

p.s. I've got a book review and giveaway happening, friends. Check it out and enter to win!


Coconut Bread - vegan
From Smitten Kitchen, via Bill Granger, via Wednesday Chef, via The New York Times

Not vegan? Use regular milk and melted butter in place of the oil. You can use eggs, too, if you'd like by eliminating the applesauce, baking soda, and lemon juice. Instead, whisk two large eggs into the milk mixture. 


If you want to use less sugar, try using unsweetened dried coconut. If you want to serve this as cake rather than bread, by all means, do so. I think it would be fun to dress it up by sprinkling some coarse sugar on top of the batter before baking. And if you are lucky enough to have room in your kitchen for a toaster? Please, please toast a slice for me. 

I chose to use grapeseed oil for my vegetable oil because it doesn't have a strong flavor (I used applesauce for the same reason). However, if you want to amp up the coconutyness, melt some coconut oil and use that. I planned on using coconut milk (from a carton!) for the entire amount, but my carton ran dry (bad food blogger!) so I simply made up the difference with almond. Any kind will work. 

Of course, this recipe is ready for your variation: lime zest, raspberries, blackberries, mangoes, pineapple, banana puree in place of the applesauce, different flours, brown sugar...the list is endless.

Deb's loaf, once baked, entirely filled and towered above her 9x5x3 (8-cup) loaf pan. That didn't happen with mine, but if yours is smaller, you may want to pour off a little batter into greased muffin tins. Those will probably (though I haven't tested) take 20-30 minutes to bake.


1/4 C (60ml) unsweetened applesauce
1 1/4 cups (295 ml) non dairy milk (see note)
1 teaspoon (5 ml) vanilla extract
2 1/2 cups (315 grams) all-purpose flour
heaping 1/4 teaspoon table salt
2 teaspoons (10 grams) baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1 cup (200 grams) granulated sugar
5 ounces (140 grams) sweetened flaked coconut (about 1 1/2 cups)
1 Tbsp lemon juice or vinegar
1/4 C + 2 Tbsp vegetable oil (see note)
Vegetable oil, shortening, or nonstick cooking spray for baking pan

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour a 9×5-inch loaf pan (all the way to the top!), or coat it with a nonstick spray.

In a small bowl or measuring cup, whisk together applesauce, milk and vanilla. Set aside.

In a large bowl, sift or whisk together flour, salt, baking powder, baking soda, and cinnamon. Add sugar and coconut and stir to mix. Make a well in the center, pour in milk mixture and lemon juice, then stir wet and dry ingredients together until just combined. Add oil and stir until just smooth — be careful not to overmix. (overmixing cake or cake-like batters can make them more tough and less delicate because you start to develop the gluten)

Spread batter in pan and bake until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, anywhere from 1 to 1 1/4 hours. Cool in pan five minutes, before turning out onto a cooling rack.

15 comments:

  1. Looks absolutely delicious. I can't wait to make this. Coconut is scrumptious.

    Carmen ☼

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh, I want to try this! I have been very into coconut for about a year now. Can't wait to check out other recipes on your blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. you should! it's really, really good. Also, welcome, and thanks for stopping by and looking around :) Let me know how it turns out, eh?

      Delete
  3. It was tasty. The coconut was delicious, not too sweet. I really liked it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really liked this. It was tasty, not too sweet. The coconut flavor was just right.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad, since I made it just for you :)

      Delete
  5. I just made this with my 12 year old daughter, its cooling and smells so good. I used So Delicious unsweetend vanilla coconut milk. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you tried it and liked it! I'm thinking about a loaf with fresh raspberries in it....hmmm...maybe tomorrow?

      Delete
  6. I made this! We had a quarter bag of coconut that I wanted to purge from the cupboard, and thanks to your helpful egg note I was able to whip the loaf together without going to the store. The aroma is absolutely worth making this loft - that you also get a tasty treat is just extra goodness.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oooo nice. Good work on cleaning out the cupboard AND baking something delicious. 10 points to Gryffindor!

      Delete
  7. love it and will make it again for sure

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you tried it and liked it! bon appetit :)

      Delete
  8. Made this today and it's quite nice. My house smelled of rotting veggies and cat food, so this covered up the smell perfectly. It's not too sweet... I added lime zest, but next time I'd add a bit more lime zest to make it extra tropical.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad the bread helped your house :) I bet the lime zest was a delicious addition. Thanks for sharing and happy baking!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...