Thursday, November 15, 2012

Pumpkin & Spice Overnight Oatmeal - vegan & gluten free

Pumpkin & Spice Overnight Oatmeal

I've started having dreams about work, which clearly means I'm there a lot (have I mentioned I'm finally full time?) and it's busy. You might have heard that Thanksgiving is next week. And you might see the connection between Thanksgiving and a very busy bakery.

My most recent nocturnal adventure had me worried all night about not having enough stuffing. You see, we make unseasoned bread stuffing from our stale (day old) bread, and apparently last year we sold hundreds and hundreds of pounds of it. It's somewhat time consuming to make, and with so many other things on my Must Make NOW list, turning loaves of bread into sort-of-but-not-really-cubed-shaped-pieces often gets pushed to the end of my shift. Which means I'm rushingrushingrushing and never ever make as much progress on my pile of bread as I'd like to, which seems to lead to bread nightmares. Life is hard.


Pumpkin & Spice Overnight Oatmeal

Luckily, I've figured out how to make a healthy version of pumpkin pie for breakfast, and pumpkin pie makes everything better. It takes maybe 15 minutes to make 3 or 4 days worth at a time. No nightmares about oatmeal, please.

~~~
On a side note, I've added a tab at the top, right under the banner, called November Favorites. My plan is to update it monthly (and change the name, obviously) with some seasonal recipes from the past. Have a look - maybe you'll get some new inspiration!


Pumpkin & Spice Overnight Oatmeal - vegan & gluten free
If you're making this for someone sensitive to gluten, be sure to use oatmeal that's certified gluten free.

As written, this isn't terribly sweet. If you need a little sugar in your morning, I recommend adding some brown sugar. Personally, I like it better warm, so I stick in the microwave at work briefly before indulging. 

1/3 C rolled oats (not quick oats)
1/3 C non-dairy milk (I like almond) or regular milk
1/3 C pumpkin puree
splash of vanilla
dashes of cinnamon, nutmeg & cloves, or a larger dash of pumpkin pie spice
topping of your choice (optional) like pomegranate seeds, dried cranberries, almonds, granola, etc.

Combine ingredients in a small lidded container. Leave it in the fridge overnight, stir, and enjoy for breakfast. If you're tight on time, two hours should be enough, but it's better overnight. If you want to add dried cereal/granola, add it right before you eat so it doesn't get soggy.

2 comments:

  1. Wow. That's certainly easy enough. I'm surprised that the oatmeal absorbs the liquid that well in the cold.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep! It's pretty awesome for work day breakfasts.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...