Friday, March 18, 2011

Vegan Applesauce Cookies


These cookies are comfort food. They're not fancy, they're not strongly flavored, and they are super easy to put together. They also happen to smell delicious while baking. So far, I don't really like March 2011, so comfort food cookies are my perfect antidote. I can also practically count them as a fruit (I totally could if I also made my own applesauce).


I'm not going to lie, I like the ones with chocolate chips the best (I made 3 kinds: plain, chocolate chip, dried cranberries. I don't do nuts). It's not really a fair fight, since chocolate is pretty much a rockstar. They are the most cookie-like. The plain and dried cranberry versions are kind of like mini muffins. So, not bad at all, and definitely breakfast-qualifying.


Vegan Applesauce Cookies
1/2 C vegan butter
1/2 C brown sugar (packed)
3/4 C unsweetened applesauce
1/2 C all-purpose flour
1/2 C white whole wheat flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
chocolate chips/chopped walnuts/dried cranberries (optional)

Preheat your oven to 375 degrees F.

Cream the butter and sugar. Mix in the applesauce. Add the flours, baking soda, baking powder, and spices to your bowl and blend thoroughly. Stir in any add-ins.

Drop generous teaspoonfuls of the dough onto your parchment covered baking sheet 1-2" apart. Bake for 9-10 minutes. Let them cool somewhat on the cookie sheet, and then transfer them to a wire rack to cool completely.

Notes:
If you use regular butter, add a pinch of salt.

Feel free to use some other ratio of the flours, all whole wheat, or 100% all purpose. I just like sneaking in the whole wheat.

If you're not going to eat all of these within a day or two, they can be frozen for later.

1 comment:

  1. My daughter is a vegan and I wanted to make her some cookies for the holidays. I followed this recipe to the letter and instead of cookie dough it came out like cake batter. I reread the recipe 3 times and still could not understand why the mixture came out as batter instead of dough. In an attempt to salvage it, I poured it into a brownie pan and baked it about 25 minutes. I am hoping for the best as this was to be a surprise for her.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...