Wednesday, September 28, 2011

How to roast fresh beets


One of the fun things at farmers' markets around Seattle that I don't remember from San Diego is fresh beets. San Diego friends, help me out. Did I just miss them?

Anyway, we've gotten them a few times this summer, and each time we get them I have to look up how to cook them. So I figure if I write it down, I'll remember it (just like moms and teachers always say). 

First, cut off the leaves (you can eat them if you'd like) and give the beets a good scrubbing. Then, using either a single piece of foil that you then fold into a large packet or individual pieces, drizzle each beat in olive oil. Wrap with foil and seal the seams.


Bake at 375F for 45-50 minutes, or until the beets give a little when you squeeze them gently with tongs. If you already have the oven on for another project, stick the beets in with them and alter the time accordingly. For instance, I had mine in at the same time as these brownies and just baked them longer (more like 60-70 minutes)


Unwrap the beets and allow them to cool. At this point, the peels will come off pretty easily; you might not even need a knife except to get the tip off. If you're really on top of things, save the oil and add it to your salad dressing.


The peel even slips off the root, leaving a cute little (pony)tail. 

Easy-peasy.  

What new cooking techniques have you been trying lately?

4 comments:

  1. thanks for the "better" cooking method than what i do! You take awesome photos too!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks, Nadia! I appreciate it :)

    How do you cook your beets?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Kate! The man and I just let some beets go to waste so I am happy to be armed with this easy recipe to save them next time.

    A challenge to Short and Sweets: what should I do with some graham flour I have left over from some long forgotten recipe?

    ReplyDelete
  4. EB! Here are two yummy sounding suggestions from King Arthur:
    http://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/peanut-butter-marshmallow-pie-recipe

    http://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/chocolate-graham-crackers-recipe

    OR a whole bunch from the always-delicious Smitten Kitchen: http://tinyurl.com/3nwtnn2

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...