Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Pumpkin Pie - dairy free


Since it's Thanksgiving this week, I thought, for once, I'd get up an appropriate recipe ahead of time. Not the day of or the week after, which is less than helpful.


Yesterday I showed you how I cooked my pumpkin, and today I'll tell you how I made it into delicious, delicious pie. If you try to eat vegan or dairy free, you may have noticed that pumpkin pie is tough. Almost all "regular" recipes I've seen use condensed milk or evaporated milk, and there's not an intuitive substitute that I can think of. However, in Devil's Food Cake Murder, I found a substitution recipe. The book itself is not good, but the recipes are mouthwatering. Anyway, thanks to this book, I was able to make a dairy free pumpkin pie without using tofu. and it was DELICIOUS. Seriously.

go forth and make pie.

Substitute for Sweetened Condensed Milk
2 eggs
1 C brown sugar
1 tsp vanilla
2 Tbsp flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt

Beat the eggs together until they are a uniform color. Add the brown sugar and mix in well. Add vanilla and beat in. Add the flour and beat for another minute and make sure it's well mixed. Add the baking powder and salt and mix in.

This makes enough to substitute or one 14-oz can of sweetened condensed milk.

Pumpkin Pie - dairy free
1 1/3 C smooth pumpkin
1 batch substitute for sweet condensed milk
1 egg
1 1/4 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/2 tsp ginger
1/4 tsp cloves
1 C hot water

one 9 inch pie crust- vegan, gluten free, homemade, store bought, etc.

Preheat oven to 375F. Beat all ingredients together until just smooth. Pour into a prepared 9 inch crust and bake for 50-60 minutes. It's normal if the center is still somewhat jiggly, as it will set as it cools.

6 comments:

  1. I find it interesting that a semi solid is a replacement for a liquid, yet it evidently works.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, it was basically a liquid. It may *sound* like the milk substitute is a semi-solid, but it's not. And sweet condensed milk is a pretty thick liquid

    ReplyDelete
  3. Does it matter what kind of flour is used? If all I have on hand is white rice flour, would I be able to use that in making the condensed milk substitute?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think rice flour should work just fine. In this case, the flour is acting as a thickener, so I believe any flour variety will work. Let me know how it turns out!

      Delete
    2. The rice flour worked beautifully. Thank you so much for this recipe to replace sweetened condensed milk. I made a lactose free pumpkin pie filling in a rice flour shell for my parents and they couldn't tell the difference. I may bring on to my family Thanksgiving dinner this year so I can partake of some of the things I can no longer tolerate in traditional form. :)

      Delete
    3. I am so, so happy to hear that!! Thanks so much for sharing :) This, right here, is one of the reasons I blog. yay! I hope you continue to try new recipes!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...