Monday, December 19, 2011

Gingerbread Ice Cream - egg free & gluten free


My car was in the shop today, which meant I was stuck at home. the week of Christmas. This meant lots of baking occurred (our house smells awesome). I'm hoping to have a week's worth of fun inspiration for you lovely folks, partly because I've been quiet lately, and partly because, well, 'tis the season.


We got a (purple) ice cream maker as a wedding present, so I was really excited to try making some for the first time. Looking around online and in various cookbooks, it sounded daunting, but it turned out to be relatively simple. The worst part was that it was pretty unsatisfying to make since I can't eat it. But Official Taster was very happy with it! Luckily, I still had some brownies hanging around to satiate my sweet tooth.


Gingerbread Ice Cream - egg free

2 C milk*
2 Tbsp molasses
1/2 C brown sugar, divided
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/2 tsp cloves
pinch of salt
2 Tbsp cornstarch**
1 C cream
gingerbread cookie dough (optional)***

Add the milk, molasses, 1/4 C brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, and salt to a small saucepan. Heat, whisking occasionally, on medium until steam rises from the milk. (It will take 3-5ish minutes) Remove from heat.

Meanwhile, whisk the cornstarch and a couple tablespoons of the cold cream in a small bowl. You want to whisk away as many of the lumps as possible.


Whisk the cornstarch mixture into the heated milk concoction, along with the remaining 1/4 C brown sugar. Heat, stirring constantly, until thick. This mixture is ready when it thickly coats the back of a spoon and a line drawn across with your finger remains intact. This should take 3-5 minutes. If you think there are lumps, strain the mixture before proceeding.

Cool completely (1-2 hours in the fridge or you can speed things up by sticking it in the freezer instead), then stir in the remaining cream. Freeze in an ice cream maker according to the manufacturer's instructions.

*Obviously, with all this dairy, this ice cream is for Official Taster. I have it from lots of good authorities that any combination of milk/cream or non-dairy milk should work just as well. I haven't tried yet, since this was actually my first experiment with our new ice cream maker (thanks, M! we need a phone date!)

**Cornstarch is a substitute here for 6 egg yolks. If you have a problem with eggs or just don't want to include them, cornstarch works really, really well.

***I added somewhere between 1/4 and 1/2 C of cookie dough pieces (recipes here and here) towards the end of the ice cream makers work, because that's what the machine's instructions said to do. I have no idea if you can add things like chocolate chips at the beginning or not. But I suspect that adding them in the last 5 minutes or so ensures they are well mixed in and don't just sink to the bottom.

3 comments:

  1. Surfing your yummy blog. Thanks for this gluten free recipe from you. 

    ReplyDelete
  2. I made a version of this ice cream and wrote about it
    here. Thank you so much for posting the recipe. It's a new favorite with my family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad it worked for you and thanks for sharing!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...