Thursday, March 22, 2012

Growing Spinach and Lettuce in an Upcycled Storage Container

When Mr Official Taster and I created our balcony container garden last week, I also wanted to figure out an efficient way of growing some spinach and salad greens. It didn't make sense to grow them in regular, deep planters because they don't need that much space or soil. As we walked through the hardware store, I mentioned to Mr OT that a kiddie pool would be a good solution, except that we don't have room for something that big. As I chatted with a nice guy about paint, Mr OT wandered off and returned a few minutes later with a plastic under-the-bed container.


It's shallow and even has wheels. He has some good ideas.


I drilled holes all over the bottom for drainage and added dirt. I chose spinach and baby romaine seeds and planted one row of each. I marked each row with pieces of different colored straws. My plan is to plant a new row of each seed type every couple weeks so that we will have waves of salad greens rather than a bumper crop all at once. Hopefully, we'll be able to eat our own lettuce for most of the summer and maybe even into the fall. 


Obviously, I don't know how well this will work yet, but I will keep you updated.

Have you gotten the spring planting bug? What have you started?

2 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Pretty well, actually. Here's a photo with some growing greens: http://www.katesshortandsweets.com/2012/04/tin-cans-as-planters-garden-update.html I ran into trouble during the summer heat because there wasn't enough shade on my balcony to keep the spinach and romaine plants happy (they don't like to get too hot).

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...