Thursday, March 29, 2012

Parmesan Muffins


I am lucky in that while I do have to stay away from cow milk and cow milk products, I've found that my body can handle the cheeses and yogurt made from sheep and goat milk. It's true of several members of my family as well - the theory being that it's the different proteins that our bodies react to, and different animal milk has different proteins and we're only sensitive to cows' unique protein. I don't know if that's completely scientifically accurate or not, but I'm glad of the result. And the result is that I can eat these muffins when I make them with nondairy milk and Romano cheese, which is made of sheeps' milk.


They are savory and light and a great side at dinner. Also, oh-so-easy and snackable.


Parmesan Romano Muffins
adapted from Gourmet (sniffle), January 2005

These could handle slightly increased amounts of the garlic and herbs, if you'd like, but they are quite good as is.

2 oz fresh grated parmesan (I used Romano), about 1 C
1 1/2 C (7 oz) flour
2 Tbsp (1 oz) sugar
2 tsp (.33 oz) baking powder
1/4 tsp (.12 oz) baking soda
1 tsp finely chopped garlic (about 1 clove)
1 tsp (.25 oz) finely chopped fresh rosemary
3/4 tsp (.19 oz) salt
1/2 tsp (.1 oz) black pepper
2 large eggs
3/4 C (12 oz) milk or nondairy milk
1/2 C (8 oz) extra virgin olive oil

Put oven rack in middle position and preheat oven to 350F.

Whisk together three-quarters of the cheese, flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, garlic, rosemary, salt, and pepper in a medium bowl. Whisk together eggs, milk, and olive oil in a small bowl or measuring cup. Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and whisk until combined.

Divide among 12 greased or paper-lined muffin cups. Sprinkle with remaining quarter of cheese and bake until tester comes out clean, 18-20 minutes. Cool in pan for 5-10 minutes, remove from pan, and allow to cool completely on a wire rack.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...