Monday, March 26, 2012

Planting Tomatoes in Buckets


The second unconventional planter I'm using on our balcony this summer is the humble 5-gallon bucket. I purchased two varieties of tomato plants that are container specific- two "Better Bush" and one "Patio." I picked up three buckets to plant them in, each for under $3. Since they were bright orange and advertisey, I also got some white spray paint to make them a little prettier. Later, I learned that Home Depot also sells plain white 5-gallon buckets for $1 more. Next time.


I spray painted the buckets in several nice and even and thin coats and drilled drainage holes in the bottom. Then I simply filled them with layers of potting soil and compost (our city gives it away free. If your municipality picks up compost along with trash and recycling, they may have a similar program) and planted my baby plants.



Et voila, three tomato plants that will hopefully produce some summertime deliciousness, and planters that are reusable and cost way less moolah than pots specifically sold as planters.

How's your garden looking?

7 comments:

  1. I know from beer-making that the orange buckets aren't food safe; is there a concern that growing tomatoes might leach the plasticky chemicals into the plants?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not worried about it. I'm sure regular plastic planters aren't considered food safe, either. Plus, regular, deep watering helps flush out the soil.

      Delete
  2. Hello - I'm glad to have found your site. I started a container garden yesterday. I also have about 2 dozen sets of seeds germinating to transfer into containers once they are ready. I'm a complete newbie. Do you only put one plant in each container? What I mean does one 5 gallon container only hold one tomato plant? Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Rhonda, and welcome! Yes, you are correct. One plant per bucket. Good luck!

      Delete
  3. If you go to a large supermarket bakery, you can get the large containers that have pre-made frosting in them for free! I've used them for years and they're "food safe". We've put all kinds of plants in them and the lids come with. All the tools can be stored in them for the winter!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Is it true that yoou should put egg shells and a fish head in with your soil?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not something I've ever done, but some people swear by it! http://www.growbetterveggies.com/growbetterveggies/2012/04/how-i-plant-a-t.html

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...