Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Spring Herb Quinoa Pancakes - gluten free


After two days of blabbing on and on, today I bring you a beautifully simple and healthy recipe. I was able to use green onions, mint, and parsley from my own little herb collection, which I'm positive makes it tastier and healthier somehow.

Pro tip: chocolate mint might not be the best choice for this dish. It's the only kind I have on hand, though, mainly because Mr Official Taster picked it up at the nursery. When I pointed out that plain might be more practical, he responded, "But we have an ice cream maker now," and I was sold. Pushover.

Spring Herb Quinoa Pancakes - gluten free
adapted from Two Tarts

These are quite good. I've been making the full batch and cooking a few at a time for lunches. The mixture saves well in the fridge for up to 5 days or so. I think they would pair well with some sort of yogurt concoction, like raita or even plain Greek yogurt. If you're new to quinoa, this is a good how-to.

Yield: 8-10 patties
2 C cooked quinoa (approx 3/4 C dry)
2 eggs
2 Tbsp chopped green onion
2 Tbsp chopped mint (optional. I liked it better without)
2 Tbsp chopped parsley
1/2 C grated strong cheese (I used Romano)
1/2 C gluten free (or regular) bread crumbs*
1/4 tsp salt

In a small/medium bowl, mix together everything but the quinoa. Fold in the quinoa until the mixture is evenly moist.

Heat a frying pan over medium high heat and add a drizzle of olive oil. While the pan is heating, form patties using a spoon and your hand. Try to make them all a similar size for even cooking, and aim for 1/2-1-inch thick. Place in frying pan and cook, turning halfway through, about 3 minutes on each side. Don't disturb them right at the beginning, or you might encourage them to fall apart. Garnish with additional fresh herbs and/or cheese.

*I imagine that if gluten free bread crumbs are commercially available, they are super expensive. The easier and better solution is to make your own. Break up some stale bread into the bowl of your food processor. Pulse until you reach your desired texture. Store in an airtight jar. Maybe up to a month? Mine have never lasted that long.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...