Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Strawberry Banana Muffins - vegan


I have a habit, in this new home base of ours, of getting to the farmers' market about 20 minutes before it closes. Sometimes that means slim pickings, and sometimes that means the strawberry guy is shouting very loudly about $5 three packs he's doing his best to get rid of sell before closing. This Sunday, that meant I came home with normal amounts of onions, cherries, tomatoes, and peaches (yes!! peaches! they even taste good!). And strawberries. Lots of strawberries.


And so commenced a strawberry muffin search. The first one I tried wasn't bad exactly, but it sure wasn't good. I had such high hopes; the recipe came with pretty pictures and from a reputable source. I couldn't see a way to improve it enough, so I just started over and trusted myself.


This unfussy incarnation turned out sweet and light. In fact, I would be tempted to reduce the sugar even further next time, and I think almond extract could be a nice addition.


Strawberry Banana Muffins - vegan

1 1/2 C (8 oz) chopped strawberries
1/4 C plus 1/2 C sugar
1 C (16 oz) very ripe mashed banana (about 2 small)
1/3 C vegetable, olive, or coconut oil
1 tsp baking powder
2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp salt
1 1/2 C flour
2 Tbsp apple cider vinegar

Preheat oven to 350F and line a muffin tin with liners.

In a two-cup glass measuring cup or small bowl, combine strawberries and 1/4 cup sugar. Lightly mash and set aside.

Whisk together the banana, oil, baking powder, baking soda, nutmeg, cinnamon, salt, 1/2 C sugar, and flour in a large bowl. Add in the strawberry mixture and vinegar and whisk until just combined.

Spoon batter into 12 muffin cups. They should be about 3/4 full. Bake on center rack for 20-25 minutes. Muffins will be puffed and slightly golden, and a cake tester inserted into the middle will come out clean.

Remove from oven and cool for about 5 minutes. Remove muffins from pan and allow to finish cooling on a rack.

19 comments:

  1. have i misread this, or is there actually no mention of when to add in the strawberry-sugar mixture? oops!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. whoops! you are completely correct! Sorry about that. You can add it at the same time as the vinegar. Updating the post now- thanks!

      Delete
  2. They look very yummy, thanks for the recipe! Although I am not a vegan myself but I do have vegan friends and I'm glad I have found something else to be able to make for them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks, Tasmeea! The nice thing about vegan recipes like this one is that no special ingredients are required, so it's easy to make a batch. Happy baking!

      Delete
  3. I'm not vegan but Im always looking to expand my recipes to limit calories and processed ingredients! I can't wait to try these. They look delicious. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hi! I'm not either [yes, really: http://www.katesshortandsweets.com/p/about-kate.html ] but these were great. Happy baking!

      Delete
  4. I'm not a vegan either, but honestly we could all try something new!! This recipe is amazing. Simple and easy. I have made it twice this week. Once as listed above, and the second time I cut out 1/4 cp. sugar and added 1/4 cp. protein powder. Tasted great both ways. A bit more "gooey" for lack of a better term the 1st time, but still delicious, and my oldest has just scooped them right up!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Apryl, I'm so glad you tried them and liked them! Maybe the first time another minute or two in the oven might have made them less gooey?

      I'm glad to hear my suspicion that reducing the sugar would still work was correct. Is your protein powder sweet at all? It's not an ingredient I'm very familiar with.

      Delete
    2. It's not sweet. I bought just a plain soy protein powder so it didn't change the flavor.

      I buy it because it makes breakfast easy when I'm on the go. :)

      Delete
  5. Kate,
    I am vegan. Found the batter dense and the tastse of soda overwhelming.
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Laura. I'm sorry to hear that! For the soda taste, my only thought is that perhaps you accidentally used 2 tablespoons instead of 2 teaspoons?

      Delete
    2. Your recipe says 2 tablespoons!

      Delete
    3. I use tsp for teaspoons and Tbsp for tablespoons. I'm so sorry you misread it! no wonder it tasted funny. I hope you'll try it again!

      Delete
  6. I just made these and they were delicious :) My boyfriend ate 3 right away and couldn't believe they were vegan. I reduced the sugar by about 1/8 cup. Will definitely make again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you tried them & liked them! tricking the boys is definitely part of the fun :) Happy baking!

      Delete
  7. if you don't have sugar, can you substitute maple syrup? and how much?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suspect that you can, yes. I haven't tried it though. I might start by adding in a bit less than the recipe calls for (since maple syrup is so sweet) and tasting the batter. If it's ok, bake the muffins (they may need a few minutes more to compensate for the extra moisture). If you do try, let us know how it works out, will you?
      Happy baking!

      Delete
  8. These were truly delicious. I used a sugar substitute for a lower calorie treat and also added my own, homemade vegan chocolate chips. Honesty they are light, fluffy, and full of strawberry-chocolate goodness. Thanks for this great recipe!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...