Monday, June 25, 2012

Banana Hazelnut Breakfast Muffins - vegan

IMG_2744
I've been on a bit of a kick lately- not a cleaning kick, exactly, but there has been some. Not a purging kick, either, though there has also been some of that. I think it's more of a use-things-up-or-put-them-away-out-of-sight-let's-see-some-order-around-here kind of kick. To clarify, I don't think our place is a mess or is super cluttered. I would just like it to be less so, some days. And some days I'm able to do something about it.

I forget why I bought the bag of hazelnuts in the first place, but it has been waiting, taunting me, and taking up space in my tiny kitchen for months. I think it may have actually made the move with us, so maybe I bought it with the intention of making nutella? or something Christmasy? Whatever the original intention was, I'm sure it was tasty, but time marches on and I want these nuts gone. Pronto.

IMG_2729

In addition, the shelves in my freezer door were on their way to becoming full of overripe, brown bananas. One of the happy side-benefits of my job is that there are overripe bananas free for the taking fairly frequently, and while I can usually restrain myself, I sometimes bring home a bunch. There's only so many morning bowls of oatmeal I can stand to taste like bananas, and I'm not currently on a smoothie kick.

IMG_2707

What puts a dent in both a languishing bag of hazelnuts and a plethora of brown bananas? Breakfast muffins, of course. I'm specifying breakfast muffins here because they can't pass for dessert, like strawberry banana or pumpkin can. These aren't terribly sweet, but they are filled with healthy banana goodness, whole wheat flour, and a touch of protein (and good fat? anyone know about hazelnuts?).

I still have a good amount of both nuts and bananas leftover, but there's nutella and cupcakes and probably some more muffins on the horizon. One of these days my pantry will look just perfect, so until then, I'll just have to keep experimenting.

IMG_2732


Banana Hazelnut Muffins - vegan
adapted from The Tassajara Bread Book, which is the book that taught me to make bread. I highly recommend it.

I started out making this with the intention of adding cinnamon and nutmeg, but I completely forgot. Actually, I didn't completely forget because I remembered after they were in the oven. sigh. In any case, I can't totally vouch since I haven't tried it, but I would add a tablespoon of cinnamon and 1/2 teaspoon of nutmeg, and perhaps another 1/2 teaspoon of cloves. 

2 C (8 oz) whole wheat flour
2 1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 C oil (or butter/vegan butter), I used a mix of olive and canola
1/2 C sugar or honey
zest of 1 lemon
2 Tbsp vinegar (I used apple cider vinegar, but any kind will work)
2 C mashed banana pulp (3-4 large or about 1 lb peeled)
1/2 to 1 C (2 oz) chopped hazelnuts (or walnuts. optional)

Preheat oven to 350F. Line muffin tins* or grease a loaf pan.

Sift flour, baking soda, and salt into a small bowl. Set aside.

In a medium/large bowl, blend together oil and honey or sugar. If using butter, cream. Add in lemon zest and vinegar and mix to combine. Add the sifted ingredients in three parts, alternating with the banana pulp. Beat smooth after each addition. Fold in chopped nuts, if using.

Divide batter among muffin cups and bake, 16-19 minutes, or until a tester inserted in the center of one comes out clean. Alternatively, you can test for doneness my lightly pressing on the top of a muffin with your finger. If it springs back, they are done. If a finger-sized dent remains, continue baking for a minute or two.

Remove pans from oven and allow muffins to cool 5 or so minutes in the pan before you remove them and allow them to finish cooling on a wire rack.

*I'm not totally sure on the number of muffins this recipe will yield. I mixed sizes and made 12 mini muffins and 9 standard sized muffins, so my guess is this batter will divide into about 16 standard size muffins or a whole bunch (30-40??) minis.

12 comments:

  1. Ooh, I love the idea of hazelnut in a banana muffin. Perfect breakfast for a good week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks, Eileen! I'm looking forward to a tasty week :) I froze all the mini muffins so I can break them out 1 or 2 at a time as needed, like some morning when I oversleep or I'm just not awake or organized.

      Delete
  2. I'm in the same mood! Maybe I should bake these as a reward to R for building lots of shelves this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. glad distance doesn't alter the mood-mirror :) Shelves plus muffins? go team!

      Delete
  3. how much sugar is it? because you just wrote 1/2 sugar... is it a cup?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rachel, whoops thanks for catching that! You're right, though, it is 1/2 Cup. fixing it now. happy baking!

      Delete
  4. I made these just now, and looooooved them! I added the cinnamon and a tablespoon of vanilla extract, so good! I used pecans instead of hazelnuts, just because I live in Brazil and in my city they are hard to find.
    I will be making them again and again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rachel, that's great! thanks for sharing and bon appetit!

      Delete
  5. i just made these and they are luuuush
    im in england so had to convert the recipe, so because im helpful heres the conversion!

    240g wholemeal flour
    2 1/2 tsp baking soda
    1/4 tsp salt
    115ml olive oil 
    200g sugar 
    zest of 1 lemon
    2 Tbsp vinegar
    mashed banana pulp (3-4 large bananas)
    60-140g chopped hazelnuts 
    (bake at 180C, fan 160C)

    i used a mixture of walnuts and hazelnuts it was great
    i dont have any muffin tins so i just used cupcake tins and it made me about 36 cupcake size muffins

    thanks v much for this recipe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hi Anna, thanks for sharing! In my mind, muffin tins and cupcake tins are the same thing. Are they different in England?

      Delete
    2. well muffin tins are deeper so u get the "muffin top" and cupcake tins tend to be shallower and wider

      Delete
    3. interesting. To get the "muffin top," I just fill my liners 3/4 full. To get the flatter cupcake top, I aim for 1/2-2/3 full.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...