Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Mango Quick Bread - dairy free


A quick Facebook-related note: as happens every so often all the time, Facebook has changed things again. If you'd like to see Short and Sweets in your feed again, go to my Facebook page, and hover your mouse over the "Like" button. Make sure the box next to "show in news feed" is checked, and if it's not, just check it, and Short and Sweets posts will show up in your feed again. Sorry FB is silly.


And back to originally scheduled programing:

As part of my diversify-our-carbs mission, I picked up some coconut flour with no real plan for it. I was originally on the hunt for barley flour to make this, but, alas, I haven't found any. Then, I got mangos with the express purpose of making this bread, and I had my epiphany. Mango+coconut oil+coconut flour = tropical delight. If I'd had some rum, perhaps it would have been even more of a delight.

In any case, I'm pretty happy with the result. Well, except for the part where I didn't wait long enough to take it out of the pan. That made a mess. It's tasty and not too sweet, and I don't even mind the raisins. It made for a tasty breakfast, and I think the suggestion from the original recipe that you schmear on some cream cheese sounds pretty delightful. Extra points: Mimosas.



Mango Quick Bread - dairy free
adapted, very liberally, from Bon Appetit. I changed the original so much that I almost didn't link to it here, but you may find it useful if you want a simpler version. The reviews also hold some useful tips, like using peach schnapps to soak the raisins.

1 C golden raisins
1/4 C juice or liquor*
2 large mangos, peeled, pitted and diced
1 1/2 C flour
1/3 C coconut flour**
1 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp ginger
1/4 tsp nutmeg
3/4 C sugar
1/2 C coconut oil (or 1/2 C butter or vegan butter)
3 eggs
1 tsp vanilla extract

Preheat oven to 350F. Generously grease and flour a 9-x5-inch loaf pan. In a small bowl, mix raisins and juice or liquor and let stand 15 minutes while you mix everything else together.

Puree mangos in a food processor until smooth. Measure total amount (see note below).

Whisk together flours, baking soda, cinnamon, salt, ginger, and nutmeg. Set aside.

In a large bowl, cream coconut oil and sugar together. If using butter, beat until light and fluffy. If using coconut oil, it won't get fluffy, but it will smooth out. Beat it a few minutes to aerate it. Beat in eggs one at time, then vanilla and mango puree. Add dry ingredients in two or three batches and beat after each addition until just combined. Fold in raisins+juice. Pour batter into a prepared pan.

Bake bread until tester inserted into the center comes out clean, 60 to 75 minutes. Cool 20 minutes in pan on rack (don't be like me and try and get it out after 10 minutes). Turn bread out; cool completely.

~~~

*I used Mango Peach Orange juice from Trader Joe's, which worked well. The original recipe called for brandy, which we don't have any of sitting around. I took advantage of the natural sweetness of the juice to cut back the sugar from 1 1/4 C. So depending what liquid you choose, adjust sugar as needed.

**This amount is one you can play with a bit. The total amount of flour should be approximately 1 3/4 cups, and the original recipe called for 1 cup of mango puree.  Coconut flour is super absorbent, so when you use it in recipes, you need to increase the amount of liquid. I chose to increase the amount of mango puree rather than adding juice or milk. My two mangos yielded 1 1/3 cups of puree. Thus, I was able to use 1/3 cup of coconut flour. I used 1 1/2 cups of regular flour and trusted that 1 1/2 C+ 1/3 C was close enough to the original 1 3/4 cups to work, and it was. So, basically, measure your puree first, before you decide on your flour amounts. Or just go with 1 C mango and 1 3/4 C flour and forget the coconut flour altogether. Questions?

2 comments:

  1. it looks totally delicious! I just found your blog and I love it !

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...