Thursday, August 2, 2012

Double Chocolate Muffins - vegan

Double Chocolate Muffins

Today is my Saturday, and I am so glad of it! (In my line of work, no one has Saturday & Sunday off. But I do usually get two days off in a row, and this week it's today and tomorrow.)

Obviously, that means yesterday was my Friday and, let me tell you, my Friday morning was rough. It was early. It was dark. I was tired. I did not want to leave the warm bed. I was grumpy. I didn't want to spend my day being cheerful to either customers or coworkers. I found messiness and annoying projects awaiting me at work. I dropped my lunch (and it was soup, so it wasn't really salvageable). Roomba is back to her throwing up ways (3 or 4 times in the last week and a half). AND I accidentally got her leash in gross stuff (read: poop) on our walk. sigh.

On the plus side, I did get to frost some cupcakes, and I had some of these muffins stashed in the freezer. Out they came to defrost. In the meantime, I watched some tv online and cuddled with the (momentarily healthy) puppy. 

When it's time for your weekend, I recommend much of the same. And maybe some farmers' market action (I'm going later!), because you know I'm always in favor of that.


Double Chocolate Muffins - vegan
adapted from My Baking Addiction

Unfortunately, these are only good for a day or two after baking. However, they do freeze reasonably well, so that's what I'd recommend, unless you're a) feeding a crowd or b) only going to eat these for the next 36 hours.

1 1/4 C all-purpose flour
1/2 C whole wheat flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
3 Tbsp cocoa powder
3/4 C sugar
3/4 C vegan semisweet chocolate chips, plus 1/4 cup for sprinkling (I used Ghirardelli)
1 C non-dairy milk (I used almond)
1/3 cup vegetable oil (I used olive, as usual)
1/4 C applesauce
2 tsp espresso or very strong coffee*
1 tsp vanilla extract

Preheat the oven to 400F. Lightly grease a standard muffin tin, or line it with 12 paper muffin cups.

In a large bowl, combine the flours, baking powder, baking soda, cocoa, sugar, and 3/4 cup of the chocolate chips. In a small bowl, add the milk, oil, applesauce,  espresso, and vanilla; whisk to combine. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir until just combined. It's fine if the batter is still a bit lumpy.

Divide the batter evenly among the prepared muffin wells. Sprinkle the remaining 1/4 cup chocolate chips on top of the muffins. You can also sprinkle the tops with some coarse sugar for a little extra sparkle.

Bake in preheated oven for 18-20 minutes or until the muffins are dark, risen and springy. If you press lightly with the tip of your finger, the muffin top should spring back immediately.

*this is completely optional. However, coffee+chocolate is always a good combination. If you don't have espresso on hand, you can also use 2 teaspoons instant espresso granules dissolved in 2 teaspoons hot water.

10 comments:

  1. Looks delicious! Exactly what I feel like right now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love adding coffee to baked chocolate treats. Apart from the flavor, coffee does make them really moist and smooth. A must try, indeed!
    Anyhoo, we have been keeping an eye out for unique and interesting bloggers with phenomenal photography skills, and yours caught our attention! We have just recently launched a food photo submission gallery http://www.yumgoggle.com/gallery/ that allows you to showcase all your great work and share it with all of our visitors. We’d be proud to have your work as part of our growing collection to continue to have a larger reach and further inspire all fellow food lovers out there!

    ReplyDelete
  3. lovely looking cupcake, first time to your blog... you have a lovely collection... so visit my space http://cooklikepriya.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mmm, chocolate for breakfast. I'm in! I have a sweet treat linky party going on at my blog and I'd love it if you'd come by and link your muffins up. http://sweet-as-sugar-cookies.blogspot.com/2012/08/sweets-for-saturday-80.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hi Lisa! I submitted my muffins for your Sweets list. Thank you and happy baking!

      Delete
  5. Hi Kate! Found your blog today for the first time, when looking for vegan cranberry muffins! Well, after emailing myself muffin links for at least 4 different recipes in the past and hitting "back" so I can grab links for the recipes I missed that I want in a very small number of minutes, thought I'd leave a comment and say Hi and Thank You for all the great recipes! Eagerly looking forward to trying them!

    (And in the regards to the seasonal food horder thing, I like to think of myself as an Inspired Nutritional Prep kind of Woman! :))) Watched Three Stars on Netflix last night, and one of the chefs calls his stash "The Bank", in which he's literally got over 1,000 (or was it 10,000) differnet kinds of ingredients stored in the most amazing little system. He goes in there to get Inspiration, to come up with new meal ideas. I like to think I do the same sort of thing, in a "pretty organized for being in my home" kind of way :)))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Inspired Nutritional Prep Woman... I like it! I'm glad you found some appealing recipes, and I can't wait to hear how they turn out. Happy baking :)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...