Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Peach Streusel Muffins - vegan

Peach Streusel Muffins

When I was mixing these muffins yesterday, I was positive I wouldn't be sharing the results here with you fine people. The batter was not as wet as I was expecting, and the buckwheat I used gave it an unusual coloring. I double and triple checked the recipe I was using, but when I went down the list of ingredients, I could put a mental check next to each one. I pressed on, popped my tray in the oven, and crossed my fingers that the diced peaches would ooze while they baked and give the muffins the moisture they needed.

summer peaches

I started to clean up, and that's when I found the egg, sitting oh-so-innocently on the counter, just waiting to be added to the mix. sigh. My mental checklist clearly confused itself, and it turns out that just getting an egg out of the fridge doesn't actually ensure it will make it to the bowl.

But you know what? These eggless wonders, these accidentally vegan muffins, are good. I hesitate to tell you how many of them I ate yesterday. They're moist, bits of peach add happy bursts throughout, and the streusel topping adds a sweet little crunch. If you're so inclined, I think they would be delicious with almond flour.

Feel free to add an egg, or not.

Peach Streusel Muffins


Peach Streusel Muffins - vegan
adapted from Tutti Dulci

2/3 C non-dairy milk (I used almond)
2 Tbsp lemon juice or vinegar
1 1/4 C flour
1/4 C buckwheat flour (optional. you can just use regular flour in it's place)
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp nutmeg
6 Tbsp brown sugar
3 Tbsp vegetable oil (I used olive)
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 large egg (optional!)
1 peach, diced

Streusel Topping
1/4 C rolled oats
3 Tbsp brown sugar
1/8 tsp cinnamon
1/8 tsp nutmeg
1 Tbsp vegetable oil (I used olive)

In a small glass bowl (I like to use a 2 C glass Pyrex measuring cup), combine milk and lemon juice. Set aside. 

Preheat oven to 350°F and line 12 muffin cups with paper liners. Whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, and brown sugar in a medium bowl. Make a well in the center of the mixture. Add vegetable oil, vanilla, and egg, if using, to the milk mixture. Pour into flour mixture and stir just until combined. Gently fold in about 1 Cup of your diced peach.

For the streusel topping, use a fork to whisk together oats, brown sugar, cinnamon, and nutmeg in a small bowl; pour the oil over the mixture and mush with the fork until well combined. If you think it needs a bit more, add in a tiny bit more oil (I did), but I wouldn't try a second full tablespoon. Divide batter evenly among muffin wells; top with remaining peaches and streusel topping.

Bake for about 18 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Remove from oven and cool in pans on a wire rack for 10 minutes, then remove from pans and cool completely.

2 comments:

  1. Made 'em! I'm hoping the promise of a peach muffin for breakfast will get me going bright and early tomorrow, despite it being a Monday.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...