Friday, August 10, 2012

Sugared Raspberries - vegan, gluten free, and free of just about everything else

Sugared Raspberries

Happy Friday! Are you tired of me talking about raspberries yet? If you need a recap, over the last week there've been Oatmeal Raspberry Cookies, Raspberry Jam, and Raspberry Vinegar. Besides the raspberry commonality, what I love especially about the vinegar and today's Sugared Raspberries is the sheer simplicity of the recipes. These two each have only one other ingredient, and just about as few instructions.


raspberries

I first made this particular recipe a couple of years ago, and I'm so glad I made it again. I don't know that I can explain how delicious it is, other than to tell you, You Must Make This. I promise you won't regret it, and I can also promise it won't take up space in your refrigerator very long. I love it on waffles, my finger, muffins, fresh bread, angel food cake, sorbet, my finger, and brownies. oh, and my finger. Seriously, I can't stop.

Sugared Raspberries

Previously, I made it with 2 cups of sugar instead of the full 3, trying to be "good." It works just fine. I don't think there's a big flavor difference, however it's definitely thicker with the full amount of sugar. So go with whichever level you prefer. In terms of shelf life, the recipe over on Gourmet specifies 1 month. However, in the article in which this originally appears (January 2008), Scott Peacock says it stays good for up to a year when refrigerated. Gourmet didn't quibble with his assertion, but said they only tested up to a month. Sugar and honey have been used to preserve foods for thousands of years, so I'm inclined to agree with Peacock, but there hasn't been any of mine left after a month to test.

Sugared Raspberries

Related: Besides the cookies, vinegar, and jam from the past week, I've also posted Raspberry Pancakes, individually sized Raspberry Crisps, and red velvet cupcakes with Raspberry Buttercream.


Sugared Raspberries - vegan, gluten free, and free of just about everything else
adapted from Gourmet, January 2008

You can also try this recipe with blackberries or strawberries. 

3 C fresh raspberries or 3/4 pound frozen raspberries, thawed and drained
3 C granulated sugar
1/2 tsp salt (optional)

Mash berries with sugar and salt in a bowl with a potato masher until berries are liquefied and sugar has dissolved. I don't have a potato masher, but one of the beaters from my hand mixer works quite well to smoosh things.  Let stand, covered and chilled, 3 days (to allow flavors to develop), stirring once a day. Stored in the refrigerator, it will keep at least month, and probably up to a year.

Note: Do not purée berries in a food processor or blender, which will pulverize the seeds and impart a bitter taste.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...