Friday, October 26, 2012

One Bowl Brownies - dairy free

One Bowl Brownies

It's been one of those weeks, you know? I'm not going to get into it, because, frankly, I don't want to, and, really, I doubt most of you want to know. You're here because of the brownies, yes? That's a good choice. Because they're really easy. Not quite as easy as a box, but pretty darn close.


One Bowl Brownies

I wasn't overwhelmed at first bite, but they grew on me as I finished my first square. and then my second. aaaannnd maybe my third. They aren't mind bogglingly chocolately, and they fall somewhere between cakey and fudgey on the brownie spectrum.

That all may not sound like a ringing endorsement, but they are comfort brownies. Quick to pull together and easy on the palate. Sure, if you're feeling sassy, feel free to fancy them up, but you really don't need to. They're just what you want when you really want a brownie to make the world recede a little.

One Bowl Brownies


One Bowl Brownies - dairy free
adapted from Smitten Kitchen

These brownies have been on my radar ever since Deb posted her version in August, and I'm kind of embarrassed to admit it took me so long to make them. I did realize while I was mixing chocolate goodness that the Smitten Kitchen Cookbook is released this week and I am SO EXCITED. I actually preordered this one (something I haven't done since Harry Potter), and I can't wait to get my hot little hands on it. 

If you want to go with butter instead, follow Deb's instructions with a shorter bake time. Quite frankly, I only used 2 oz of coconut oil because that's all that was left in my jar. Happily, the pumpkin substitution reduces the fat and increases the good-for-you stuff.  I suspect (but can't verify) that if you go with 4 oz of coconut oil, the bake time will be closer to 25 minutes. 

3 ounces (85 grams) unsweetened chocolate, roughly chopped
2 ounces coconut oil
2 ounces (about 1/3 cup) pumpkin puree (or applesauce or any other fruit puree)
1 1/3 C (265 grams) granulated sugar
2 large eggs
1 tsp (5 ml) vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon table salt (about 2 grams)
2/3 C (85 grams) flour

Heat oven to 350°F. If you're fancier than I am, line an 8×8-inch square baking pan with parchment, extending it up two sides, or foil. Butter the parchment or foil or spray it with a nonstick cooking spray. Alternatively, grease your pan well, and be prepared to have less than perfect brownie squares.

In a medium heatproof bowl (think glass or stainless steel) over gently simmering water, melt chocolate and coconut oil together until only a couple unmelted bits remain. Remove from heat and stir until smooth and fully melted. (You can also do this in the microwave, carefully, in 30-second bursts, stirring between each.) Whisk in pumpkin, sugar, then eggs, one at a time, then vanilla and salt. Stir in flour with a spoon or flexible spatula and scrape batter into prepared pan, spread until even. Bake for 45 to 50 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out batter-free.

Let cool and cut into desired size. If you want even more perfect squares, freeze the whole pan before cutting with a sharp knife. If desired, dust the brownies with powdered sugar before serving.

2 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...