Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Pumpkin Spice Cookies - vegan


Happy Halloween! And Happy Birthday, Daddy! It seemed appropriate to use a picture of me in costume (from back in the ballerina days for all you people out in the interwebs), and I've always liked how proud you look in this shot. Sorry I cut you out, Mom, but it's not your birthday (and I knew you wouldn't really mind). Have a great time at dinner! I'm glad the restaurant reopened!


I was wearing my cute new jack-o-lantern tshirt, and I was hoping to get Roomba to cooperate because a black dog is almost the same thing as a black cat, right? Well, she had very little interest in doing what I thought she should do. Basically, she was holding on for dear life. By her claws. In my shoulder.

Pumpkin Spice Cookies (vegan)1

Anywho, I hope all you east coasters are safe and that Sandy didn't cause too much damage for you. When you get electricity, I recommend making sure your oven works with a batch of cookies.


Pumpkin Spice Cookies (vegan)

These cookies, specifically. They taste like all the good things in fall - pumpkin, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, and cloves. These little guys are light and fluffy, almost like handheld cakes, and they are legitimately not bad for you. If you're handing out treats tonight and trying to ignore the lure of the candy bowl, whip up a batch of these. I know you already have all the ingredients on hand, and you'll be able to resist temptation because you will have something even better (especially if you dip them in chocolate).

Pumpkin Spice Cookies (vegan)


Pumpkin Spice Cookies - vegan
These should freeze pretty well. I haven't tried it, though, so I can't promise. I used all whole wheat flour, but there's no reason not to make these with all-purpose, white whole wheat, or some combination of whatever you have on hand. 

1/2 C vegetable oil (I used olive)
1/2 C packed brown sugar
3/4 C pumpkin puree
1 C whole wheat flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/2 tsp ginger
1/2 tsp cloves
1/4 tsp salt

Preheat your oven to 375F.

Using an electric mixer, beat the oil and sugar together for a minute or two to blend and aerate. Add the pumpkin and beat for another minute or so. Add the flour, baking soda, baking powder, and spices to your bowl and blend thoroughly.

Drop generous teaspoonfuls/fairly level tablespoonfuls of the dough onto your parchment covered baking sheet 1-2" apart.  You may notice that mine aren't perfect looking? Yeah. Turns out that these stay in basically whatever shape your drop onto the cookie sheet. So if you care about how great yours look, drop carefully, or even use a pastry bag+tip if you want perfection.

Bake for 10-12 minutes. Let them cool somewhat on the cookie sheet, and then transfer them to a wire rack to cool completely. Yields about 20 cookies. 

9 comments:

  1. These were good. Not too sweet! I did however make a maple glaze for them. I will make these again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. sounds yummy! glad you tried them and liked them :)

      Delete
  2. This recipe for me yielded 8 cookies at best. Not that big of a deal but just saying. I also used coconut oil, instead of brown sugar I used 3 1/2 tablespoons of Truvia, and I used Gluten Free Flour. Yay turning vegan recipe lean as well.!!:D Tastes amazing.!:D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you were able to alter them and love them! That's the best part about recipe blogging, I think. Happy baking :)

      Delete
  3. I was very proud and I still am!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are great! I added 1/3 cup more flour and 1/3 a cup of blackstrap molasses and did a heck of a lot more ginger - like 2 tbsp, though. The pumpkin is subtle and the cookies are delicious! Thanks for posting!

    ReplyDelete
  5. These were wonderful! I replaced half the oil with applesauce, and I used butternut squash instead of pumpkin. I also added 2 tsp of molasses and 1 tsp of vanilla extract. Turned out great!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...