Thursday, November 29, 2012

Pumpkin Pie Muffins - vegan

Pumpkin Pie Muffins - vegan

Whew. It turns out that a busy bakery turns into chaos during Thanksgiving week. We sold hundreds! thousands! millions! of pies. I couldn't actually believe we would sell all of the ones we had ready, but we did, and we actually sold out of some flavors. 

By the end of my shift on Thursday, I was done in. So much so that, for the first time in my life, I brought a cake to dinner that I bought. I was mildly outraged at myself, but so tired that I couldn't sustain it. Also, I justified it by telling myself that it was a cake we make in the bakery, so it's almost kinda-sorta like homemade. Right? 


Pumpkin Pie Muffins - vegan

Anyway, I don't know if you're pied out, or if you still have some cans of pumpkin floating around your kitchen, but these muffins are perfect for cold mornings. Easy, healthy, and sweet. What more could you ask for?


Pumpkin Pie Muffins - vegan
adapted from USA Weekend (thanks, mom!) 

If you want, you can probably stretch this to 13 or 14 muffins, but I didn't want to have to wash two muffin pans. You can also reduce the sugar a bit if you prefer, but they're not overly sweet as-is. 

3/4 C nondairy milk (I used almond)
1 Tbsp + 2 tsp apple cider vinegar or lemon juice, divided
1 C flour
1 C whole wheat flour
2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1/4 tsp ground cloves
1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
3/4 C brown sugar
3 Tbsp unsulfered molasses
1/4 C vegetable oil (I used canola)
1 1/4 C pumpkin puree (most of a 15oz can)
1 tsp vanilla
handful of chocolate chips (optional)

Preheat oven to 400F. Grease a 12-cup muffin tin, or line it with papers. 

In a small glass measuring cup or other non-reactive bowl, combine milk and 2 tsp of lemon juice or vinegar. Set aside.

In a small-medium bowl, whisk together (or use a fork) the flours, baking soda, salt, and spices. In a medium-large bowl, whisk together the sugar, molasses, oil, and 1 Tbsp of lemon juice or vinegar. Whisk in the pumpkin and vanilla. Stir in the flour mixture in two batches, alternating with the milk+vinegar, until just combined. Divide the batter evenly among your muffin cups. If you'd like (and why wouldn't you?), sprinkle chocolate chips on top. 

Bake for 20-22 minutes or until the tops spring back when you press lightly with a fingertip. Cool in the pan for 10 or 15 minutes, then remove muffins from pan and allow to finish cooling on a wire rack. 

4 comments:

  1. I made these! Mine turned out a little darker in color (molasses factor?) but still scrumptious. Also, secret vanilla in the instructions but not in the ingredient list? Thanks for an easy Sunday evening recipe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yay! I'm so glad you made and liked them :) Also, whoops! Thanks for the eagle eye. Vanilla is now in the ingredient list.

      Delete
  2. I made this recipe at the weekend and really loved it. Is it ok if I reproduce the recipe on my blog – I would of course credit you and your blog for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Nilanjana! I'm glad you tried and liked these muffins! I actually just had one for an afternoon snack :) Of course you can blog about these! Just use your own pictures and your own words for the recipe. Thank for checking!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...