Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Breakfast Salad - gluten free, dairy free, vegetarian

Breakfast Salad

Hi all- I'm back again. For those of you who don't follow along on Instagram or Facebook, Mr Official Taster and I went on a pretty epic trip. One Phillies game. Two weddings. Three flights. Nine States. Ten days. Seven beds to rest our weary heads. 

Let me be clear: it was fun and I'm so glad we went. The weddings were lovely, the flights uneventful. We visited with so many people, some of whom we hadn't seen in years and years and years. But, boy, were we glad to get home to stinky puppies, piles of mail, laundry for days, and our own kitchen where we could make instead of buy food and snack when we felt like it. 


Breakfast salad

Today's recipe isn't really a recipe at all, but it's a breakfast I find myself making quite often on my days off. You know, the days where I take a minute or two to actually make a real breakfast and sit down at the table and eat it with silverware and a cloth napkin. You know, fancy. Customize to your heart's desire!

Put an egg on it


Breakfast Salad - gluten free, dairy free, vegetarian
a Short & Sweets original

Salad greens
assorted veggies
nuts, seeds, fresh herbs (I particularly like green onions here), roasted garlic, etc
cheese that melts well (optional)
olive oil
salt & pepper
1 or 2 eggs

Lay salad greens on a plate and add whatever salad ingredients you like. Juicy ones like tomatoes or cucumbers are especially good, as I don't use a dressing. If you'd like to use cheese, I recommend chopping it in somewhat small pieces to facilitate melting. 

Add a dollop of olive oil to a small or medium frying pan, and set over medium heat. Once your pan is hot, fry an egg or two to your desired level of yolk runny-ness or solid-ness. Transfer cooked egg to salad, garnish with salt and pepper if you'd like, break the yolk, spread it around, and enjoy immediately. The runny yolk is usually enough topping for me, but feel free to add salad dressing, some olive oil, or melty cheese. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...