Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Medium-Big Cluster Maple Granola - gluten free & dairy free

Medium Cluster Maple Granola

I've never been what anyone would call a "trend-setter." I couldn't tell you what this year's New Black is, though I do happen to know the Pantone color of the year. I wear heels as few times per year as possible, and I blow dry my hair even less often. I don't own anything ombre. I refuse to make Instagram videos, and the rugs at Chez Sweets tend to fall into the washable-because-we-have-dogs-who-vomit category rather than the chic-and-trendy one.


baked maple granola

However.

I would really, really like to be the blogger who convinces you (and starts a trend!) to switch from store-bought to homemade granola. This was my inaugural recipe, and I say "inaugural" intentionally- there. will. be. more. I was able to mix up and bake a batch between a series of unfortunate events and painting this weekend, and it was one of the few things that didn't go wrong or add stress to my life.

dried cranberries

To be fair, I didn't end up with large clusters Deb promised me, but I'm willing to overlook that because a) there are certainly clusters (though not as many as I would like) and b) it's delicious. A took a jar to work with me, where a friend pronounced  it "delightful" and "way better than this granola I bought," which brought a smile to my face.

Medium-Big Cluster Maple Granola - gluten free & dairy free

Here's hoping she's the first of many converts.


Medium-Big Cluster Maple Granola - gluten free & dairy free
adapted a bit from The Smitten Kitchen Cookbook

I'm thinking I didn't end up with all big clusters because I didn't distribute the egg white evenly. Next time I will try to do better. But I'm not complaining, because even the crumbs are delicious. Update 10/1/13: Thoroughly mixing in the egg white gives you big clusters. I made it again, stirred a lot, and it worked. This would be the perfect fall accompaniment to overnight oatmeal or pumpkin spice overnight oatmeal. I've just ordered one of these guys, and I'm super excited to give it a try!

Of course, I encourage you to give this template your own spin. Change up the nuts, the fruit, or even the oil for slightly different versions. Of note- aside from the spices and liquids, I found it quick and easy to measure my ingredients by weight. I did measure for you guys, but if you have a scale, this recipe is even easier if you use it. Finally, if you're making this for yourself or someone who is sensitive to gluten, be sure to use certified gluten free oats and omit the wheat germ.

2 1/2 C (Deb says 3) (240 grams) old-fashioned rolled oats
1 C (50 grams) unsweetened shredded or flaked coconut
1 C (100 grams) hazelnuts, coarsely chopped, or other nut
1/4 C (25 grams) toasted wheat germ (omit for gluten free)
2 Tbsp (350 ml) olive oil
1/2 tsp coarse salt
1/2 C (120 ml) maple syrup (increase up to 2/3 C for a sweeter granola)
1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 C (25 grams) hemp seeds (optional)
1-2 Tbsp flax seeds (optional)
1 large egg white
1 1/2 C (215 grams) dried cranberries, or other dried fruit, diced if large pieces (like apricots)

Preheat your oven to 300F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Combine all ingredients except the egg white and dried fruit in a large bowl. Toss to coat evenly. Whisk the egg white (I used a fork) in a small bowl until frothy (it will take a minute, but it's important). Stir into the granola mixture and be sure to distribute it throughout.

Spread granola evenly on your lined pan. Bake for about 45-55 minutes. Approximately halfway through the baking time, use a large spatula to turn over sections of the granola carefully, breaking them up as little as possible. Rotate the pan if granola is baking unevenly. When it is evenly browned and feels dry to the touch, transfer the pan from the oven to a cooling rack. Cool completely. Then, break up granola into whatever size clusters you'd like and sprinkle in dried fruit.

Store in an airtight container for a couple of weeks, or freeze for longer term storage.

6 comments:

  1. this granola looks awesome kate!!! I love the ingredients list and will definitely mark this recipe for the next time I need granola :) Thank you!!
    xox Amy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks, Amy! I hope you share your variations :)

      Delete
  2. Gorgeous photos and the granola looks divine!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susan, thank you so much! I hope you give it a try :)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...