Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Bourbon Pumpkin Muffins - vegan

Bourbon Pumpkin Muffins

I hope you're not over pumpkins yet.

I know, I know, this is the third pumpkiny recipe in a row here, and for that, I sort of apologize. If you need some balance in your life, I did recently give you a salad, and before that, granola, both of which are quite healthy and a good antidote to overindulgence. (by the way, have you tried the granola yet? as part of my plan to convert everyone I know to homemade-granola-makers, you really should)

But I don't apologize all of the way, because when, if not in October, are you going to overindulge in pumpkin anyway? September's not the season quite yet, and November is Thanksgiving focused, so that leaves (pun intended) October as The Time of Pumpkin. I'm keeping you trendy. You're welcome.


vegan Bourbon Pumpkin Muffins

These muffins mean you can start your day off right- with whole wheat, unrefined sugar, pumpkin, and, of course, bourbon. I bet they would be really good warmed up and smeared with a dollop of peanut butter. In fact, I believe that will be breakfast in the morning. They come together quickly, too. Again, you just need one bowl, one spoon, and about ten minutes of active time to make yourself breakfast for the next few days. And maybe a snack or two.

Bourbon Pumpkin Muffins - vegan


Bourbon Pumpkin Muffins - vegan
adapted from me

Bourbon isn't something you'd typically find in the kitchen cabinets here (he's beer, I'm wine), so I bought a mini bottle (airplane size) for banana bread earlier this year, and I was happy to think of another use for it. Frankly, if you want a bourbon flavor, you're gonna want to bump up the amount listed below. I would try a full tablespoon, or even a splash (or two) more. If you're not into alcohol or don't have any, just skip it, or substitute vanilla. I used whole wheat flour, but you can use an equal amount of all-purpose or some combination thereof. Finally, I haven't made this into a loaf, but I don't see any reason why you shouldn't try it. I'm guessing the bake time will be somewhere in the 45-55 minute range, but I don't promise that. If you try, let us know how it goes, yes?

1 C pureed pumpkin, either fresh-baked or from a can
1/3 C vegetable oil (I used olive)
1 tsp baking powder
2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp pumpkin-pie spice
1/2 tsp salt
1 C sucanat (or brown or white sugar)
1-2 tsp bourbon (or more, see note) (optional)
2 Tbsp vinegar (I used apple cider vinegar)
1 1/2 C whole wheat flour
cinnamon+sugar or coarse sanding sugar (optional)

Preheat oven to 350F and line a muffin tin with liners. This recipe yields 12 muffins.

Whisk together the pumpkin, oil, baking powder, baking soda, pumpkin pie spice, salt, sugar, and bourbon in a large bowl. Add in the vinegar and flour and whisk until just combined.

Spoon batter into muffin cups and smooth. (Smoothing is optional, but if you don't, they will look "rustic" like mine). They should be about 3/4 full. If using, sprinkle cinnamon-sugar mixture or coarse sugar on top. Bake on center rack for 25-30 minutes. Muffins will be puffed and slightly golden, and a cake tester inserted into the middle will come out clean.

Remove from oven and cool for about 5 minutes. Remove muffins from pan and allow to finish cooling on a rack.

2 comments:

  1. I made these! Easy and delicious. I liked the consistency of the batter (integrity/stiffness) and I see how it leads to the rustic look. Yay for fall!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you successfully made muffins of integrity :)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...