Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Cranberry Hazelnut Quick Bread - vegan

Vegan Cranberry Hazelnut Quick Bread
Mom, this bread is for you.

As I mentioned on Sunday, this week I'm on vacation from work, but entertaining full time at home. We had a great dinner last night with our friend (pumpkin chili recipe coming soon to a Short & Sweets near you), followed by a slice of this bread (it was fresh! we had to try!) and maybe a brownie or two. oh, and some raspberries. It was a feast.

Cranberry Hazelnut Quick Bread

Now that I've recovered from our group gluttony dinner party, I can fully appreciate this easy bread. I pinned the inspiration for this quick bread recipe, oh, a year ago. And I'm just now getting to it. What was I thinking? It's easy, comes together in a snap, and I bet you have all the ingredients on hand. If you're like me and have a seasonal food hoarding problem, you might even have a bag of cranberries from last fall stashed in your freezer that you should really finish off before you buy this year's cranberries to stash in your freezer. ahem.

Cranberry Hazelnut Quick Bread - vegan

But I digress. Since we're well into the throes of Fall, I suspect the baking bug has bitten just about everyone, even those who don't think of themselves as bakers. This is a great gateway recipe; it's easy, it makes your home smell marvelous, and (I hope) it makes moms happy.

Cranberry Hazelnut Quick Bread - vegan


Cranberry Hazelnut Quick Bread - vegan
adapted from The Kitchn

This in another recipe that begs you to put your own stamp on it. Hate cranberries or hazelnuts? Use something else instead. Want a more complicated flavor? Add in nutmeg, cinnamon, or even pumpkin pie spice or toast the nuts. If I'd had some lemon zest, I would for sure have added a pinch or two. Want less sugar? Take some out, or use a different kind. Have some pumpkin puree hanging out in your fridge? Use in place of the applesauce. Or used mashed up banana. Or pear sauce. This bread is yours to change.

That being said, don't use more than a cup of fruit. I did because I was trying to finish the bag, and, well, some slices just won't stay together because they have too much fruit. Don't be like me.

Finally, I think these could work well as muffins. Grease or line a standard muffin tin and bake for probably about 20 minutes. I haven't tried it yet, but that's how I would go about it. If you translate this to muffins, let us know how it works, eh?

1 C (8 oz) nondairy milk (I used almond)
1 tsp lemon juice or vinegar
2 C (10 oz) flour (I used white whole wheat)
1/2 C (4 oz) white sugar
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
3/4 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
1/4 C applesauce
1 tsp vanilla
1/4 C (2 oz) vegetable oil (I used olive)
1/2 to 1 C fresh, frozen, or dried cranberries
1/2 C roughly chopped hazelnuts

Preheat the oven to 350°F. Grease or spray with nonstick cooking spray a standard 9x5 loaf pan.

In a small non-reactive bowl or glass measuring cup, combine milk and lemon juice. Set aside.

Whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a medium mixing bowl. Add applesauce, vanilla, and oil to milk mixture and whisk together.

Pour the liquid ingredients over the dry ingredients. Gently stir ingredients until just combined. Fold in cranberries and nuts.

Scrape the batter into the prepared pan, push it into the corners, and smooth the top. Bake for 45-50 minutes, or until loaf is golden and a tester inserted into the center comes out clean. Allow loaf to cool 10-15 minutes in the pan before turning out to finish cooling on a wire rack (or slice and serve still warm).

Wrap baked loaves tightly in plastic wrap and store at room temperature. Baked loaves can also be wrapped in plastic and aluminum foil and frozen for up to three months.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...