Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Sangria Fruit Ice Cream - vegan & gluten free

Sangria Fruit Ice Cream | www.katesshortandsweets.com

Can you believe it's already almost Memorial Day weekend? Can we talk about that for a second? Because I really can't seem to wrap my mind around it. At work, we're planning and prepping for a busy weekend, as we are at home, but I really just can't take it in that it's already the beginning of summer. Maybe if we had fireflies here it would be easier to grasp? (yes, sad fact. no fireflies on the west coast)  I just...whew this year is flying.

Sangria Fruit Ice Cream - vegan & gluten free | katesshortandsweets.com
from above, Sangria Fruit Ice Cream - vegan & gluten free

"Anyway, moving on" as my dad would say. Are you hosting or attending a party this weekend? I don't know what else you have planned, but I recommend sangria and ice cream. Both are perfect harbingers of summer, and both are crowd pleasers. They are also show stoppers that are easy to prepare and easy to prepare for a group.

Blueberries

First, let's talk sangria. Here are some mouth-watering recipes I pulled from my Pinterest collection of drinks:


If you make one or four of them, invite me! I'll bring brownies and my ice cream maker.

vegan & gluten free Sangria Fruit Ice Cream

Alas, I can't invite you over to my place because, well, it's gonna be full. I have good friends coming for a visit (yay!), and a sister-in-law graduating with an MBA (yay!), which means parents-in-law will also be in town (yay!), and, well, I think you can agree that the weekend sounds pretty full. If I were more on top of things and didn't have to, um, work, perhaps I'd be the one cooking a celebration feast. If I were, sangrias sound like a festive must-drink.

blueberries and ice cream

The beauty of this "recipe" is that it's really just a guide. Use what you have and it will be delicious.


Sangria Fruit Ice Cream - vegan & gluten free

Below are the volumes that I used, but the point of this recipe is really it's versatility. Have more than a cup of fruit? Add some more milk. Have less fruit but more people? Add some "regular" fruit and/or some more milk. Want a lighter ice cream? Add a second can but use light coconut milk and/or add some more fruit. Consider reserving some fruit for garnish. Mostly, though, just use what you have, and I can pretty much guarantee that no one will complain that it's not ___ enough. If they do? They're probably having a terrible day, and you may want to grant them a little leeway. And maybe a drink. 

1 C sangria fruit (I used a mix of berries)
1 (~15oz) can full-fat coconut milk
agave, honey, or sweetener of choice (optional, see below)

Use a food processor, blender, or immersion blender to fully combine the milk and fruit. Taste, and add a little sweetener if needed. Mix to combine. Chill in refrigerator for at least a couple of hours, or overnight.

Transfer chilled mix to your ice cream machine and freeze according to the manufacturer's instructions.

1 comment:

  1. So Yum!!
    My mouth is watering:)
    I am loving this..Thanks for sharing:)

    Best
    Soy Yogurt-Yo MyGoodness

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...